Thursday, April 28, 2011

Unplanned events

Todays midweek trail ride was not quite what I planned for, but was interesting.  When things don't quite go right I have 2 choices...to focus on the negative....or....even tho the unplanned happened we (Zoe an I) learned something and usually come out better.  I usually take the second view.  I tend to think that way about anything that happens in life.  Anyway I figured Zoe needed some hill work, and something to keep her mind busy as she spent alot of time calling as we left the barn.  The barn was a very busy place that morning.  We had 3 farriers working at the same time and a trailer had pulled in.  We went up beginners hill and managed to NOT eat the poison oak hanging over the trail-YAY!  By this time calling had stopped and we were well on our way to having another loopy ride.  I made a few loops and Zoe did great.  I decided to go to Enchanted valley.  The last I heard it was very boggy in the valley part and the hill I was told was full of ruts.  Getting there Zoe spooked at 2 deer bounding away in the bushes.  She spun but did not bolt--YAY.   She did spin me into a tree branch, but I got to practice staying on a spinning horse and dodging a tree branch.  I stayed on great and was only slightly scraped by the branch.  Enchanted valley was mostly fine.  The valley part was plenty dry and the trail up the hill wasn't too bad until you almost get to the top.  Yes the trail is very rutted, but you can skirt it to the left.  However almost at the top you have a choice-a large rock slanting towards the rut is there...step down into the rutted trail to avoid the large rock, or try to step over the rock-it would be a big step, or go to the left even more-into the bushes.  I chose over and to the left.  I was not sure about the ground in the rut.  Now I should have remembered Zoe and slanting rocks-can be a dicey combination.  Zoe did not step over the rock and did not go to the left enough.  She stepped right on the rock and her feet slid out from under her and she fell into the ditch and I went down with her.  She did not panic.  She tried to get up but I stopped her because I wanted to get my left foot out of the stirrup.  She listened very well and waited.  Then I told her she could get up, she heaved herself out of the ditch and walked around calmly.  She didn't seem to be bothered by the experience and was not lame so we walked around at the top for a while.  I want to try that trail again...need to make it work better...because it is one of our favorite trails.  I got on and off we went.  She was pretty calm for all of that.  We saw a few other  riders out on our ride and she did not get worried about them.  One pair was behind us on the way home and they were moving along faster that we were.  So I pulled over and let them go by.  Zoe was interested, but not too worried.  I was almost at the point to get down into the cow pastures.  So I decided that she needed something else to think about. Now I don't usually do this, but today it seemed like the right thing...I got off and allowed her to eat.  She was very happy.  We waited for a while, I got back on and we walked nicely all the way home.  She did spend some time looking around for those other horses, but they were not in sight.  The road home she only called twice, nothing like on the way out.   So the ride had some unplanned events but we came out okay.  5.64 miles, max 9.51, avg 3.85.
That last ride was on a Wed.  On Thurs went out with a friend to practice not eating on the trail.  We both needed practice on this.  One of the places that we stopped at was the place I allowed her to eat on yesterdays ride.  I wanted to see what she would do.  She didn't even try to eat there.  Phew!  She did manage a few bites in places that I couldn't disciple her very well....too hilly or the ground was slippery and steep.  But all in all she did better and my friend did very well with her horse too.

No comments:

Post a Comment