Wednesday, April 20, 2011

....hmmm..to eat or not to eat.....

Well today I combined 2 items that I wanted to work on with Zoe.  The last 2 posts mentioned eating and being more comfortable on the KBB hills.  So I headed for the KBB hills and stopped every once in a while over some really green lush yummy grass, or next to poison oak, or next to pine trees (yes she likes pine trees).  At the first stop in the cow pasture she didn't eat anything, didn't even try.  She had a questioning look on her face "why are we stopping?"  So I moved on and the second time she thought "since I'm stopping I might as well....." That turned out to be the wrong decision.  After being over and undered, spun in a tight circle, and having my spur dug into her side, and her butt whipped....maybe eating wasn't a good idea after all.  Afterwards she just stood there..waiting for what I wanted to do next.  And on we went.  Her attitude was really good getting to and coming back from the KBB hills.  I went up and down some of the same hills many times and she probably thought she was in trouble.  On one of the hills just as I was starting to trot up, she tried to grab a bite of poison oak....which got her the same treatment as I described earlier. Then we were back to work trotting up the hill.   So of course we had to go back down that hill again and see if she would remember not to eat as I asked her to go back up it.  She didn't eat.   She didn't even try the pine trees today.  So today turned out really good.  The past week I have been working on the eating problem at the barn just walking in hand.  She has been doing really good on the ground work - hopefully it has transfered to being ridden.   5.53 miles, max 8.39, avg 4.14

No comments:

Post a Comment