Saturday, February 25, 2012

No slipping saddle, long lost plant found

Saturday I wanted to try out my crupper and a no slip pad I could cut to fit under Zoe's saddle pad.   It took a while to saddle her because I was being super picky.  In the end--NO SLIPPAGE.  I was sooo happy.  My saddle stayed in place.  I did have to get off to adjust my crupper, it was too loose.  I will have to watch  where the crupper lies on my horse, that I won't get rub marks from that.  I think I will try using the crupper  and the no slip pad out on the trail, and just the no slip pad in the arena-see how that works.
All 3 of my horses went out today.  We discovered that Skippy and Zoe need to work on the same thing.  Loping while in the back.  Today Zoe was in the lead, we picked up a lope and Skippy did the head tossing, crow hopping thing.  Usually when Zoe is in the back I get some head tossing and more of a frantic lope, not the easy rocking chair lope I have when I'm in front or by myself.  So both horses need work being in the back-work for another day.  I find Zoe can lope behind Sky or Dune just fine.  I guess it depends on the number of horses or the energy of the lead horse or the attitude of "the horse I'm riding that day".
Today I saw a plant that I've been looking for for a few years.  Dutchman's pipevine.
For some reason I haven't seen it for a few years.  Maybe I'm looking at the wrong time or in the wrong place.  It was nice to see.  Sky's rider was amazed at the plant, the name, the flower, and how it gets pollinated.
We also practiced dragging sticks out on the trail.  The horses did fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment