Thursday, February 23, 2012

Mid-week rides, vet visit, flexible

Mid-week rides this week meant I needed to be flexible.  Wednesday morning I discovered I had a flat-in my driveway.  However I decided not to change it at 5 am, I would have woken up my husband digging around in the garage for items and turning on the air compressor.  So I waited until he got up and I ended up leaving at 8:20.  I'm usually done cleaning the barn by 8:20.  Oh well," blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape" is a saying that often comes to mind-and it applied today.  I knew I had a vet visit too-vaccinations.  So I knew my ride today would be short.  I finished cleaning and went on a short ride-5 miles.  I decided to see if I could beat my fastest mile at a trot.  And I did it.  Now it's not amazing for some people but for Zoe and me it's good.  11:18 in 1 mile.  She did so good today.  We loped some, trotted alot.  It was one of those days that I loved my horse.  I had a sweaty horse when we got back and since it was a warm day, she got hosed off.
The vet visit was okay.  Zoe was wary of the vets gloved hands.  She only had 1 injection and 1 internasal vaccination.  She stood okay for the injection, but didn't like the gloved hands by her nostrils for the internasal one.  She had her head high, but didn't dance with her feet.  I can play with her nostrils all I want, but not the vet.  I think I might spend time playing with her nose with latex gloved hands, maybe I can get her more used to it.
Thursday I rode after work with a friend.  Again my time was short due to having to get some new tires for the car.  We tried to find puddles to work and we did find some but they are drying up.  Today's north wind will dry them up even faster.  Yesterday Zoe walked thru puddles great, today-sometimes good, sometimes not so good.  Just had to go back and try again.  We decided to hand walk the horses on the road on the way home-really windy by then.  As we were walking by the housing development across the road from the green gate we met 2 boys on bikes.  We stopped to let them go by.  But their idea of passing us was different than I expected.  Zoe had about 1 1/2 feet between her and the curb.  They chose to ride their bikes between the curb and my horse.  Zoe just looked at them, head down and calm while I held by breath.  She let them pass no problem.  Phew.  I probably should have said something because not every horse would be so nice in that situation.  Today I noticed that the spots on Zoe's shoulders are getting worse.  My saddle keeps slipping forward as I ride.  So now I going to get a crupper for her.  I tried out Skippy's on her and she didn't mind.  I hope it helps because the spots are getting worse, there is a spot on her right shoulder that has no hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment