Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Success at the scary pole and lost horse (not Zoe)

The last time we tried to go past the metal fence post on the way to Granite Bay was June 24th.  I posted that we worked on that area (with friends) and was eventually able to go first past the post.  So today I decided to try it again-only this time it's just Zoe and me.  And....we did it!!!  I still think she's not very happy about it, but that's just the way it is.  I think the more we do it, the easier it will get for her.  We went to the big flat rocks by Beeks Bight and took a picture.  Then we went home.  Again she went past the curve with the metal pole in the rock...not completely at ease but it's a start.  I was happy with her.

On our way out to Granite Bay we rode past a 3 man crew that was using a chain saw to saw up an already downed pine tree.  Zoe didn't mind the chain saw.  They also had a wood chipper there too, but it wasn't on.  I was hoping they wouldn't turn it on until I was way past them...my hopes were realized...no wood chipper, yay!
On the way back we went to the top of Dottie's Hill and took another picture.

We took trails to avoid the chain saw and the now running wood chipper (I could hear them working) and as we dropped down into the meadows I met a rider.  Only this rider had no horse.  She had her helmet on, spurs on, riding pants on, chaps on, but no horse.  It seems Flo had lost Leroy.  Leroy decided to spook at a few deer, coyote but the thing that got to him was "noise of something being eaten".  He took off,  Flo bailed-not wanting to stay on with big branches coming towards her body.  Leroy stopped to look at her and took off.  Now I just came from the area she described where this happened, but we didn't see or hear anything.  Flo wanted to walk back to her trailer by FLEC and see if he went there.  I went with her, but no horse.  Her plan was to go back home, get another horse, and go back out to look for him.  I said I would go back to the barn, get another horse and do the same.  Skippy was my next horse to ride.  We entered the trails where her trailer was parked but no horse.  I made a loop around, talked to the guys chopping the tree and headed back.  Just as I was dropping into the meadows, Flo called.  Said she found him.  She had brought her other horse and just as she was heading out on the trail, there Leroy was-standing by some trees, in the shade, eating grass.  Phew!  I had headed out on the trails there, but didn't see him.  It's hard to find a moving object.  Made me think about putting some ID on my horse, just in case.  It's one of those things that I've been meaning to do, but now I'll get on it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment