Thursday, July 5, 2012

Avery Pond again-2 versions

Another cool weather Thursday...so we went to Avery Pond again.  Only this time at Rattlesnake we put Zoe in the lead until the water trough at the last bridge.  It's only her second time on this section of the trail and I'm asking her to take the lead.  She did pretty good.  Sometimes had some trepidation but continued to move forward.  She did stop at one place, on the next to the last bridge we were 3/4 of the way across and she decided to stop, just for a second.  Don't know why, but it was easy to get her moving forward again.  At the water trough Zoe had to wait a few minutes before drinking, I guess she had to feel at ease to get a drink and that took time.   We stopped again at the picnic tables.  We didn't try to go to White Water today.  I figured I had asked alot of Zoe by putting her in the lead and she did so good, that was good enough for today.

We met 2 sets of hikers and a rider going out and 2 riders coming back.  Zoe didn't like one of the horses we passed on the way back.  She danced a bit on the trail.  I was thankful that I had the uphill side of the trail-there was really no place for her to go except forward and STOP being silly.

On the way back Sky led and Zoe was on his tail.  It was interesting keeping her back.  Usually people think of my horse as being incredibly slow but she has sped up especially this past year.  At Rattlesnake we decided to put her in the lead and sometimes she was slow and sometimes she was faster.  At HSB we put Sky back in the lead.  Zoe spooked at something on the easement trail, her front feet were all over the place.  Not sure what was so scary.  But we kept moving and she was fine.  We stopped to talk to Dune's owner on the way back.  She was happy with her bucket when we got home.

Another cool weather day...so mom decides to go on a long ride.  I know this because she packed food in the saddle pack.  We move along just fine, just like last time but wait...at the picnic tables where we used to stop we keep going AND I'M NOW IN FRONT.  Mom seems to know where she is going at least I hope so.  There were some places that I wanted to slow down, maybe let the other horse take the lead??? But no.  We crossed bridges but the next to last one was different.  There was something different and I wanted to stop and check it out but mom said I had to keep going...she said something about a water trough up ahead.  Said I would like it.  Sure the water was okay, but I wanted to make sure that we were going to be safe with my head down drinking water.  That other horse we went with doesn't look like he is keeping watch very well so I guess it's up to me.  We stopped again at the picnic tables and I got some carrots.  I was glad we were heading home after that.  


We met people walking and other horses with their people.  One of the horses on the way back made a funny face at me.  Mom said I had to be good and moved me forward but I wanted to stop and make funny faces back at him.  


That other white horse is slow sometimes.  I want to push him down the trail but mom says I can't do that.  So I ended up in that posture where I keep my head down, round my back-it's okay in the arena but really on the trail?  Oh well.  Finally I got to take the lead at the picnic tables, but sometimes I went slow and sometimes I went faster.  Back on the trail by the road there was a spooky noise, I was just trying to alert mom but she said I had to stop being silly.  We got to stop and visit with Dune a little bit. He got to eat grass while mom talked but I didn't get to eat any grass...but I got a nice bucket at home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment