Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Ride before the rain...maybe

"Maybe" because it never seems to rain when they say it will...but since it might I wanted to do the canal trail.  We took the trotting trail.  It was Zoe's first time going thru the sawed thru log by herself.  She wasn't too sure, hesitated, stopped for a brief second-but I urged her on and she went forward.  ( I need to take a picture of it)  Once on the canal trail she gave the rocks "the ear" to make sure they didn't move.  I heard some riders on the Pioneer Express Trail-above and behind me.  We trotted on, I was hoping that we would be able to get ahead of them.  That part of the Pioneer Trail can be rocky and I was hoping it would slow them down some.  I guess it did because I didn't see them again the whole ride.  On the way back she heard a deer before I could see it.  It was around a corner, she stopped but we didn't see anything so I urged her on and there around the corner was a buck-antlers just coming in.  It jumped, Zoe stared, then we moved on.  I guess I don't mind her stopping to look, especially if it makes her feel comfortable.  At least she doesn't spook and spin or bolt.
               The balancing rock WAY out of the water.

Today I tried my old saddle pad.  It seemed to work fine.  I wanted to try something different, I've noticed some spots on Zoe's back that look worn.  I figure if the pad works I should be able to change pads sometimes and maybe the spots won't be so noticeable.  Or maybe it's because she is a hairy monster right now with her winter coat so I notice those spots more.  

It has been cold the last 2 mornings.  I rode one of them before work and the other I pulled all 3 horses in the barn and they shared a flake of hay-they didn't mind.  No blankets, altho I was tempted to put them on Monday night.  They seemed to do fine.  But as the other 2 get older, blankets will be important.  Zoe-she has enough fat and is young-she seems to do well in the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment