Sunday, January 15, 2012

Colds and windy days

Colds aren't fun.  This past week I had a cold, started Monday afternoon and I still have it on Sunday.  Monday and Tuesday were the worst.  So the ride time for this past week has been less.  I didn't take my solo ride on Zoe on Wednesday, but did go out Thursday some friends.  Saturday we were out of town so my next ride was today-Sunday.  It was windy today and Zoe decided to be spooky.  I could tell when I was saddling her up that she was going to be on edge.  Since Jim had a cold today (wonder where he got that from) he stayed at home.  My riding partner today was on Sky.  We set out with Zoe in the lead.  I decided she could be up front to keep herself busy and to deal with her "spookiness".  Then 1/2 way thru we switched and put Sky up front.  Zoe was sure there was a monster trying to get us from behind.  She kept looking back, sometimes took a few trot steps to "get away from it".  She finally settled down.  Funny how some days the wind really affects them.  It was a shorter ride and we went on familiar roads/trails.

Sometimes I wonder about the horses when they are spooky.  I could trot more, we would pass the "scary" spots faster, give them less time to think about those spots.  Or we could walk-deal with the "scary" objects, learn that they aren't going to hurt them.   Somedays I do the first option and somedays I do the second option.  Today I chose the second one.  Zoe seemed to calm down.  I think which option I choose depends on the day, the horse, the rider, and any companions on the ride.

On my way home I counted 12 4-wheelers heading up Auburn/Folsom.  They weren't packed for camping,  seemed like a day trip to me.  Hopefully our 600 acres was not their playground today.

No comments:

Post a Comment