Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day ride-with a few surprises

No one was out at the barn today and I wanted to go in a direction that we did last week, towards Rattlesnake-partly.  So off we went.  My plan was to go Lomida, Prospector, HSB, Pioneer Express Trail towards Sterling Pt., take the Lake Forest Trail back to the cow pasture and go home.  And we did end up doing just that.  There was a surprise on the way out.  While we were on Lomida, someone in one of the houses to the left was shooting off a pellet gun.  We heard 3 distinct shots.  The first one-Zoe didn't care.  The 2nd one-seemed to matter just a little.  The 3rd one-she started to question my wanting to continue forward.  But just a few taps on her side and she continued.  Just one more thing to practice with my horse.  Zoe did great going up to and past the green gate on Prospector.  She did good on HSB road.  She did great going over the bridge.  Zoe was hesitating a bit on the Pioneer Express Trail.  I forgot that today is Labor Day and the boats were out on Folsom Lake, lots of boats, lots of noisy boats.  But she managed to hold it together and we got past the "scary noisy part".  Plan on going back lots of times.  I really like this ride.  And I miss the canal trail...can't wait until it opens up again.   Once past Long Bar she really knew she was on the way home and once on the Lake Forest Trail she did great.   We met up with another surprise.  We used to call this trail Barking Dog Hill....because of the nasty barking dogs that no longer live at one particular house.  But just after that house, down the hill, we pass another house on the right with a rod iron fence...that has a german shepherd that likes to rush the fence, barking loudly.  Zoe wasn't sure what to do and slowed down and almost looked like she wanted to kick out at the dog.  She only would have hit the rod iron fence...but I still didn't want her to do that.   I pushed her forward telling her to ignore the dog.  At that point the owner figured out that she needed to call off her dog-I'm glad.  Zoe held it together again....and off  we went, calmly down the next hill towards home.  Once on Lomida she did call out on the way home-she usually does that when I take her someplace different.  But she wasn't uneasy...it's just strange having such a vocal horse.  I'm getting used it her "talking".   Wednesday we will probably just ride in the forest.  I have farrier appts for my other 2 horses-so I don't have alot of time to work on things-I need a ride that will be easier for her.  I'm going to do the ride I did today again on Thursday-and I will have a friend with me that day-however Zoe will be taking the lead until we get to Long Bar.  Then I want to do it again by ourselves the following week.   I'm expecting it to get easier each time for her.   Horses "live up to or down to your expectations".

No comments:

Post a Comment