Thursday, August 4, 2011

Oh deer

Today was our first ride out after camping.  I should know better than to go out fast and expect a slow ride back.  Zoe was more than willing to move out and to keep moving out.  It was like riding Skippy-the sportscar.  The way back she was in a hurry to get home...was listening somewhat.  She didn't break into a trot but was walking fast.  So we played with the slow down ideas.  I wish I had more time to work on it today, but I had to get back home by 1pm.  She will probably be fine the next time out by herself.
Our title today-deer.  We did come across 1 young buck trotting up the trail behind Elephant Rock.  Zoe did a few steps to the side and stopped to look as the buck bounded off into the bush.  She usually does pretty well if she can see what it is that is bothering her.  (Except for mountain lions)  Once we saw that deer and she figured it out we picked up our trot and continued on.  On the way back we were on the road that parallels  the trotting trail.  We were just coming up to the places where the ruts are bad and the trees are down.  We were working on the "slow down the walk" idea when we heard loud crashing sounds to the left.  Zoe stopped to look and it was fine with me to stop.  Next thing I see are 2 deer- a fawn with spots and it's mom- frantically running down the hill and heading straight for us.  Now there are alot of thoughts that go thru my mind in just a few seconds.  Heals down.  Both hands on reins.  Stand my ground...if I move my horse will probably think it has to run also...the deer will probably go around us.  However they didn't look like they were going to go around.  So I decided that talking would help.  So to not bother my horse too much I say-in my happy voice-"Oh look deer are coming".  As soon as I get those words out of my mouth, they swerved at the last second and passed in front of us about 2 yards away.  I say "Oh look the deer are going" again in my happy voice.  Part of my talking was for Zoe's benefit and the other part was for what had spooked the deer in the first place.  Maybe my talking would scare that away too.   So now the deer are bounding off to the bushes to the right.  And I'm looking to the left to see what - if anything- is coming.  Nothing else was coming.  So again in my happy voice I say "Well that was interesting, let's keep going down the trail".  Zoe all this time was really good.  She didn't jig, she didn't get tensed up.  She was very much aware, but not spooky.  Phew!  We continued on our trail ride and still had to work on the "slow down the walk" idea.  

No comments:

Post a Comment