Thursday, August 4, 2011

Camping

This year's trip to Euer Valley was great.  We brought 3 horses:  Sky, Skippy and Zoe.  They all did great. There was no sillyness or rushing or competition among them.  Every ride out was calm.  Sometimes they were unsure of things, but managed to "deal with it".  The creek was running higher and the way around the bridge with the metal road was not clear....so we got to ride across the bridge.  Horses were unsure at first.  I decided to get off and walk Zoe across and we lead everyone else across.  The rest of the time we all took turns at riding and leading across the bridge.  There was only 1 time that Zoe didn't want to lead- on the way back, and there was 1 time that Skippy didn't want to lead - on the way out.
The rides were great....we managed to get 2 in a day.  When we got up high the scenery was terrific.  We only had cameras working part of the time so pictures of views from up high are scarce.
Zoe did a good job leading on one of the rides....it was a ride up a ridge where you could see the next valley over-Carpenter Valley.  The last time we lead up there she balked alot....but this year she was a real trooper....just wanted to keep going.  On that ride were 3 steep hills to go up...ones that you don't want to look back down where you came from-just keep looking where you want to go.  Zoe lead up one and did a great job.  After a while we switched places and Skippy lead the rest of the ride and up the next 2 steep hills.  While going up one of the hills I almost lost my cell phone-the holder on my leg was holding on by a thread-literally.  I just happened to look down and see my problem-phew!
I was able to use my GPS on some of the rides.  I had to wait until we got home to see the maps but it gave me a greater map than what the managers of Euer Valley had to offer.  
We did have bears in camp everynight.  I managed to sleep thru all of their visits so I was told what happened...but apparently the horses did fine.  They acknowledged the bear by getting slightly worked up...moving of feet was heard.  Only one night did Skippy snort.
The bugs in the Valley, especially in the afternoon, were numerous.  Sometimes flys on the trails in the afternoon were bad.  I guess it was the result of such a wet long spring.  The last day the breeze came up and the bugs weren't so bad on our rides.  Our camping place was fine...we are up above the valley so the flys and bugs weren't so bad.
Everything was soooo green and the flowers were beautiful.  Again the result of the long wet spring.  Apparently Euer Valley opened up July 4th-a full month behind scheduled.  Nice on the rides with all the green and flowers.  Nothing was mucky.  I remember in years past that some of the vegetation was dried up and when the wind blew thru it it sounded like a rattlesnake...made the horses nervous.  But not this year.
I forgot how much the horses liked grazing in the meadow.  Zoe LOVES to roll and roll and roll.  They all rolled but I think Zoe did the most.  I could see the joy on her face as she rolled.
I think this is our 7th year there.  It is Zoe's 5th year.  I can see how Zoe has done better each year we go.  She is used to it now.  There is something nice about seeing her and the other horses be so relaxed....a true vacation.  I can appreciate the "sameness" of the place we go...it truly leads to a relaxing vacation for horses and humans.  We will try another place someday...we are talking about saving up our $'s for Point Reyes. 

View of the valley from our camping spot

      Zoe leading up one of the trails
                                              
  Jim and Mario ahead of me....nice, green, and flowery this year


   Georgie came to visit one afternoon.      

       A different view of Euer Valley

                          Zoe and me

            Zoe loves that meadow grass

              Carpenter Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment