Sunday, August 7, 2011

Friday's ride

     We got the opportunity to ride with a friend today...one that we don't get to see too often.  It was fun.  We only went in the forest, but did many different things.  There were 3 of us.  We changed places, walked, trotted, up hills and down hills, separated some, backed up hills.    
     One of the things I liked was being 2nd or in the back while we were going faster.  Zoe needs practice at this...doing it without tossing her head or breaking into a lope when she could just be extending her trot.  My friend's horse has a nice big trot so we got to practice this while she was in the lead.  
     Zoe usually doesn't like being in front, but I put her in front on so many rides that she is getting used to it.  Today when she was in the front she sometimes spooked at silly things, but went back to work.
     We did a little bit of separation-almost forgot about doing it.  At the KBB Hills Zoe was watching my friends horse go off in a different direction and she almost wanted to run up the hill to catch up with her, but I made her walk.  We need to do more separations in the KBB Hills.
     An interesting thing we did was to back up out of the creek by the green gate.   I've never thought of doing that in that place but it was a good thing to try.  Zoe did good, she hesitated a little 1/2 way up the hill....but with just a little urging continued to back all the way up.    I will have to try that again.  
     All in all a good ride.  
     Back at the barn another friend was playing with a big American flag in the arena while another friend was lunging her horse.  It looked like fun to try the flag...so I asked if I could do it.  The answer was yes but not in the arena...the horse in the arena was scared of the flag.  So they said it would work best in the barn yard.  I was okay with that.   So Zoe was fine with the flag.  I could put it over her head, drag it on her head, wave it wildly over her head, walk in any direction...didn't matter which side of the horse the flag was on.  But......the horse in the arena-didn't like me playing with the flag.   He took off, ran away from his owner, took the lunge line with him.  So I decided the flag could wait for another time.  We seemed to be doing fine with it anyway.   Another day.  
      

No comments:

Post a Comment