Thursday, June 9, 2011

GPS/ride towards Rattlesnake

So a friend found another GPS app for my phone, it works on her phone too.  I decided to try something weird, I ran the old GPS and the new GPS at the same time.  The new one: Enodomondo (E), the old one: My Tracks (MT).  Yesterday the only thing the same about both of the tracks was the time: 1:23. MT came up with 8.55 mi @ avg speed 6.18 and E came up with 4.66 mi @ 3.35mph.  Hmmmm.  E sounded more reasonable.  I tried it again today as we went towards Rattlesnake.  Now this was interesting because we had mile markers to aid us and the E GPS talks to you as you go along...telling you what mile you are on and the time it took you to get there.  E seemed to be accurate.  The MT had us going further and faster than we really went.  So now I have a new GPS.
As far as the ride went it was good.  Last time I went here was with 4 horses and it was the first time Zoe had been on this trail in about a year.  This time she was calmer, went over bridges just fine.  Balked at 2 drainage pipes on a curve in the trail.  So I got off, walked back and forth across them a few times, got back on and we led the way across them...no problem.  But the rest of the trip was great, she wasn't as excitable like last time.  Maybe fewer horses or maybe it is a more familiar place now.  Anyway we will be going again.   We did find 1 rattlesnake in the middle of the trail.  Sky was in the lead and he did great, not very excited by it.  I did get off here and found a branch to throw at it.  At first it didn't seem bothered, but then it slowly moved off the trail.  As I threw a few more branches at it, it started rattling.   We walked past that place rather quickly, got back on and away we went.  The horses didn't seem bothered by it.  2:55--8.07 mi @ avg 2.76 mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment