Thursday, November 29, 2012

Windy and lunging

Yup...still raining.  Today it came with a lot of wind.  By the time I got to the barn after work, it was really windy.  By the time I left it was starting to rain.  Supposed to rain thru the weekend.  No trail riding for me.  So today I took all 3 horses out and groomed them so they could get dirty again...just part of owning horses.  I lunged Skippy and Zoe together, focusing more on Zoe.  They both had fun racing around the arena bucking and kicking out - eventually I got a "ok, I'll get back to work" attitude from both of them.  I lunged first then cleaned them up.  I left Zoe for last, I wanted to go back into the arena and lunge on a lunge line and see what would happen.  The last time I did that it didn't turn out so well.  Previously I hadn't let her blow off energy so on the line she had a really bad attitude and tore the line from my hands and she went running off and stopped to eat leaves.  Then we had a "conversation" in the round pen and after that-she was good.  I hoped this time would be different because I had let her get rid of some of her energy, but I didn't know because it was soooo windy.  Sometimes in the wind she seems to have LOTS of energy.  But she did just fine.  In fact her lope was so slow, I had to get on her case for her to put more effort into it.  I did ride her a little bit, bare back with just her halter.  I briefly tried the half-halts I had been working on.  She really paid attention.   At least Zoe and I got to do something together today.

No comments:

Post a Comment