Thursday, November 8, 2012

Wasn't sure how this ride would turn out

I've been riding by myself on the canal trail lately, it's one of my favorite rides.  Last week Zoe cantered nicely by the lake.  Sometimes she canters like a frantic, mad pony down there.  So we have been working on that.  Last week was good.  This week was also good...altho I wasn't so sure at the beginning of the ride.  When we left the barn, we passed Skippy in the barnyard.  She was just coming back from a ride as we went out the gate.  Zoe's mind was on the barn and Skippy-not trail riding.  She called out many times on the road.  Once on the trail she still called.  So I thought I'd try some circles.  Every time she called I circled, but that didn't seem to help.  She got more worked up, didn't calm her at all.  I need to try another "if you're going to act like a brat, you get to do more work" method.  So we did some trotting.  It turns out that she doesn't call while trotting.  And she seems to be busy moving, watching where she is going.  Hmmmmm trotting is the answer today.  So we trotted alot.  When we first started out I wasn't sure we would make it to my original destination-the canal trail-but now it seemed possible.  While trotting I met C on Dune as they were heading back to their barn.  I slowed for them, told C that I had to keep moving and I would explain tomorrow at lunch.  We trotted most of the way to the canal trail and once on the trail kept it up.  We even cantered.  I thought she might revert back to frantic, mad cantering but she did really good.  Seemed that her mind was back on her job.  On the Lake Forest trail back home she did good.  I thought she might try to get back to the barn as fast as she could, but she was content with any speed I chose.  We met up with  a water maintence worker on the first street we came to...he was flushing out a pipe.  I could see the water moving down the street past his truck.  Just as we passed the truck, Zoe jumped..."oh my gosh, mom, did you see that water!!!!".  I was thinking she might do that and was prepared for it.  The worker and I laughed and he shut off the water.  I was hoping he'd keep it on some more.  Anyway it turned out to be a good ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment