Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Canal trail, deer leg, road work, shims

Wednesday's ride was fun, no wind.  I'm glad the wind is gone today.  We went to the canal trail-again.  Zoe is getting used to it again.  She is continuing to do well with the rocks-no stopping to be "scared".  I usually enter thru the cow pastures and go up towards Sterling Pt.  Zoe has done so well with the rocks that after the "rocky part" she tends to want to be "scared" with the rest of the ride.  Really......(sigh)  She doesn't spook or stop, but seems to be wary.  Something to con't to work on.  One good thing-she didn't try to eat AT ALL on our ride.

On our way out we saw a deer leg on the trail...it was on the big high road thru the 2nd cow pasture.  It was a front leg, from the knee down.  No signs of a struggle, matted down bushes or grass, no carcass to be found.  I think something dropped it going from point A to point B.  Zoe didn't seem to mind it.   Later we saw a buck bounding away....I think my bells scared him.  (By the way he had all 4 legs)  My barn manager said she has been finding bear scat out there.   I'm not sure a bear would take down a deer.  But a mountain lion would.  Just a reminder that we ride with the wild critters.  My first barn manager once said that there is always something watching you out there....comforting thought.   I do tend to look out farther ahead and I tend to look up in the trees too....since bears climb trees.  

PG&E is working on the road going from the cow pasture up to the "red hill" area or "grand central station" (depending on who you're talking to).  It usually has deep ruts in it.  I guess they decided to smooth it out for doing work in the future.   There were large trucks and tractors, beeping and making lots of noise.  We just took a different road to the high road in the cow pasture.  Zoe didn't seem to mind.  They have tried to "fix" that road before, but every year the rains carve deep ruts in the road.  I'm not sure I want to travel it anytime soon.  Don't want my horse to step on something that looks solid on the surface but still has a big rut underneath it.  I know it will be fine in time.  It was getting really messed up and I was thinking that this winter it would be hard to travel on.  So in time I'm sure the dirt will settle, rains will come and it will be better to travel on.  It will be fun to see the horses reaction to the changes.

I'm going to try a shim in my saddle pad on the right side.  Zoe has been having a large dry spot on her left side.  I tend to lean to the right.  Maybe there is too much pressure on the left side as the saddle presses in to the left side.   Or maybe it is the shape of her back.  The left side has a bit more muscle that  the right.  The right slopes off faster than the left.  A shim should help that too.  Anyway we will see after the next ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment