Thursday, May 5, 2011

Working hills

Thursday's ride was fun.  I went out with 2 friends to "work some hills" at the KBB hills.  We popcorned when we could on the way there.  I wanted to try Zoe out in the middle of the pack and the back of the pack before we got there.  I know she does well in the front.  We got there and chose 3 hills to work.  We practiced trotting up and walking down the hills.  We traded places in the line up.  We varied our speed some...but decided not to lope.  I've practiced that with 1 other horse but haven't done it with 2 yet.  Since this was the first time doing this work with 3 horses I decided that loping could wait until next time.  We went up and down the 3 hills many times.  The GPS looks funny...lots of lines in some places.  Zoe did some head tossing in the middle and in the back.  Once she even put her head down and I thought at least a crow hop was coming, but I asked her to pick up her head and yelled at her.  My partners asked if I wanted to stop but I said no...keep going and learn to do it right.  Then we went down the same hill and did it again...and she did it 100% better.  As we kept going up and down each horse settled down and went to work and paid attention to the rider's requests.  One of my partners had some work to do with her horse too and the more we went up and down the better he got too.  7.22 miles, max 7.61, av 3.99
Oh... and today I only had 13 ticks on my horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment