Monday, December 30, 2013

I wonder about people

So 3 of us are riding back home on a single track trail, winding down a hill, when we meet another rider.  Zoe is in the lead.  She stops, then realizes it's just another horse.  We pull to the side to let her go by when she announces that she has a dog with her, just behind her….somewhere.  Somewhere but not to be seen…way back there-in the direction I'm headed.  She says we can go ahead because her dog is fine with horses.  We just stand as she is calling her dog.  I wonder about people.  Finally the dog shows up and freezes because now we find out he's scared of horses, he won't do anything but run from them or try to walk way around them.  "Fine with horses".  Humpf.  Her comment to go on ahead was strange too.  Yes her dog might be fine with horses but is my horse fine with her dog showing up randomly somewhere up ahead on the trial?  How does she know that my horse will be okay with this?  Hmmmm.  When the dog showed up we had moved a few steps ahead but I knew that the dog would be a trail obstacle.  Hoping that we would not repeat the squirrel episode of the previous weekend I was ready for anything.  Zoe saw the dog and froze again.  Stopped to stare but no turning and loping away.  That was good.  Once she figured out it was just a dog she was fine.  The dog wouldn't take the trail to get to it's owner.  It skirted the trail and our horses, traveling way up the hillside and down again to get to it's owner.   I don't have a problem with loose dogs on the trail as long as they are somewhere close to their owners and aren't aggressive.   I just wonder about people sometimes….

No comments:

Post a Comment