Thursday, October 4, 2012

Sunrise at Folsom Lake

One thing I wanted to do this summer was ride to Folsom Lake and see the sun rise up over the hills.  Last Wednesday I got to do just that.  My friend rode Sky and I took Zoe.  We met at 6 am and I wanted to go out the gate at 6:30 but we ended up going out at 6:40.  It worked out because we mostly trotted to the lake.  We got down there and about 1 minute later the sun came up.  Totally worth it.  The shadows and the light was awesome, so different from later in the day.  We took our time on the ride and stopped to take many pictures.  The pictures don't do it justice-you'd have to be there.   I expected to see some wildlife but the only thing we saw were geese and for a while we were herding them.  And on the way back we did see a very large pile of bear scat, not sure how old it was but it wasn't fresh.  (I saw it again the next day and it seemed smaller, I guess the heat must have dried it up some-maybe it was fresher than I thought)  The horses did great on the ride.  They weren't spooky at all.  The only thing they "got away with" was eating grass while we stopped to take pictures.
 Sun just coming up


 Kerrie's rock 

 Sky and Kerrie's rock 
 Definitely a view between the ears 
 Don't get to see my shadow this long very often
I like that rock wall 

This ride was arranged at the last minute.  Someday I'll make it an official ride/breakfast time with some friends.  I love getting up early, usually I rise at 4:15.  I'm so used to getting up early that I have a hard time sleeping in-6 am is sleeping in.  Sometimes it makes staying up late a difficult thing to do...sometimes I even fall asleep on the couch at night-have to wake up to go to bed!  I don't think I'd do good for a moonlight ride-by the time I would end up in bed I'd only get a few hours of sleep and then I'd be awake.  That's okay because there is always a sunrise ride-in the arena or out on the trail!  

No comments:

Post a Comment