Thursday, February 24, 2011

2 mid week rides & back to work

So I took Zoe out by herself on Wednesday.  She did her usual calling on the way out, but her feet we calm, and her head was in a good position--not raised-so she wasn't nervous.  I usually say, just get back to work, we are moving on-and we move on just fine.  We went on a shorter ride because I wanted to take another horse out on the trail and had many other things to do with my day.  We did see 2 deer by alligator rock...she stopped to look, they moved on and so did we.....back to work.  She had a little too much "go" on the way home so we stopped, circled, sidepassed.  She did good and we went...back to work.  There was alot of water on the trail and many mucky spots to negotiate.  She did walk thru some of the puddles just fine.  We met 2 other horses going out on the trail as we were coming into the smaller pasture towards the green gate.  Zoe did fine passing them and staying calm.  On Lomida we met another horse and passed him just fine.  There was a motorcycle that passed us on Lomida that she didn't like....not sure why because it wasn't a loud one and she has been doing so well with motorcycles.  When she was younger she did NOT like them at all...always stopped, spun around, danced a bit.  But now they don't seem to bother her until today.  Not sure why...she did want to see what the noise was before it got to her so she spun around, but then was calm afterwards.  Back to work.   4.19 miles, max 8.95 avg 3.30

Thursday a storm was blowing in and I wanted to go out on the trial.  I kept checking my doppler to see where the rain was and decided to go out.  A friend wanted to join me so I said okay as long as we could WORK on some things.  It was nice to have the company as the wind was up and a storm was coming in...a friend would take the "scarey" out of the ride.   My friend was up to doing some separation work so we did...a shorter ride, Zoe in the lead most of the time.  We worked on small separations at first, both horses did fine.  Towards the end we tried something different....one went forward and one turned around and went away from home.  The forward one was to stop and wait for the other one to turn around and come back.  Then switch places.  Zoe did okay....a little bit of questioning, hesitating, but still went where I asked her to.  When we were stopped and waiting for the other horse to return to us, she wanted to turn around and watch for him, but I wouldn't let her.  She was just a bit uncomfortable, but waited.  Working while you wait...who would have "thunk" it.   I would like to do that one again-a few times-I think she could do better--push the edge of her envelope some more.  Then the bigger separation was to come.  My friend went from the bottom of beginners hill down to the cross roads in the cow pasture, I went forward towards the road with the sewer caps, turned left and met her at the cross roads in the cow pasture.   In this separation there is a section that the horses can't see each other.  The other horse called out, but Zoe did not return the call.  I was hoping she wouldn't...I told her not to....I guess she understood??? Anyway she looked around for him, but listened to me, walked calmly and then noticed that we were going to the same place...the cross roads in the cow pasture.   She did better with this separation than the previous one.   I guess it was more work for the other horse...pushed the edge of his envelope.   Any way we had a calm ride home....good timing as it was just starting to sprinkle.  4.84 miles, max 8.39 avg 3.15

No comments:

Post a Comment