Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Lesson was good

I last wrote that Zoe was much better with the "stopping when supposed to be trotting" issue. We have had our ups and downs. But over all getting better. I find I don't have to turn has many circles anymore. Sometimes just a reminder, in a timely fashion, with the crop is all it takes. So I wasn't sure how lesson was going to go today. I rode her briefly in the arena 2 hours before the lesson and she balked one time. She started going backwards instead of forwards but I just kept on her case until I got what I wanted. Before our lesson we warmed up in the round pen. I got on in the round pen and got the same thing. So I wasn't sure how lesson would go. I explained to my trainer what I had done during my practice sessions and he was ok with it. He thought it was a good call to turn circles if I felt she was going to buck. But to always get back to work, walk out of the circle and ask again, which I did. So he said if she gave us a problem again, he'd get on and work with her. She did great in the lesson. I was so happy. We walked on a loose rein, picked up the reins, collected, asked for a trot, sat the trot, asked for a canter with the correct lead, stayed on the circle one time around, then did a posting trot, changed directions thru the circle at a posting trot, sat the trot, picked up a canter with the correct lead, stayed on the circle one time around, then did a posting trot, changed directions......we did this 3 times in each direction. And each time she did not stop! We rested for some walking laps and did the same thing again without stopping! There were a few times we picked up the wrong lead but I fixed it. And she did try to ver off the circle a few times but we fixed that too. And I was reminded, again, about my hand position- still working on that. My trainer said he was amazed that she didn't stop, he was waiting for her to make that mistake. I remarked that he didn't have to get on her this time and he said (with a smile) that he was "a little disappointed" that he didn't have to ride her. So it was a really good lesson. Looking forward to practicing more and hopefully will make it to the next lesson...still waiting for a grandchild to be born.

No comments:

Post a Comment