Sunday, October 6, 2013

Show time

At our stable we have a horse show once a year.  We just had one today.  It was the first year we had dressage tests, we had introduction tests A, B and C.  I decided to do a pleasure class, 18 years old+ -walk, trot and tests A and B.  I wrote in a previous blog about trying to do dressage in this years show.  It was an interesting experience and I look forward to improving my scores.  Test A was 53% and test B was 54%.  I'm told that a score in the 50%'s is ok, satisfactory.  The 60%'s would be considered good.  If one gets a score in the 60%'s or higher three times in a row they should consider advancing to the next test.

The tests seemed to go by so fast.  There were things I knew I could do better, things that I knew Zoe could do better.  There were other things that we did better than the "satisfactory" 5 score.  Each part of the test is scored 0-10 and comments are written next to certain activities.  Basically, if I can get more impulsion out of my horse the scores would be better.  Rhythm is so important.  I also found out about 4 days before the show that the rider is not allowed to give verbal cues to the horse.  So I've found myself with another bad habit-clucking to my horse.  So I've spent the last few days concentrating on using my seat to move up and down in my gaits.

 I did find out that my equitation isn't as bad as I thought.  On the dressage tests I got a 6 and 6.5 on rider's position.  And in the pleasure class I got 4th place-the judge said she would have scored me 1st or 2nd place if it was an equitation class.  So my equitation is improving.  I use too much foot movement in the pleasure class to look pleasurable.  So it was my first year riding english and it was interesting.  The dressage is so precise and challenging, I think I'll enjoy working on it.

 Patti with the flag

 Jeni and Zeke came to visit 

 We had to scoop poop



 

2 comments:

  1. Your pictures are beautiful and you have such a cute helper for scooping poop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is 2 years old and thinks that scooping poop is fun...I know-in a few years his attitude will be different, but it sure is fun now.

    ReplyDelete