Monday, May 13, 2013

Moving Manure

I work at the barn where my horses are boarded.  I do many things and one of them is to clean the pastures and stalls/paddocks of some of the horses.  Someone told me that a 1000 lb horse produces 50 lbs of manure a day.  That got me to thinking....how much manure do I move in a year?  Most of the horses I clean up after are under 1000lbs.  During the dry weather the weight of manure in the pastures/paddocks is lighter.  But in the winter it is heavy with the wetness of the rain.  So I trimmed the amount of manure each horse produces....because of the less weight of the horses and 1/2 the year it is very dry.  However the stalls-some of those horses just use the stalls as a bathroom!  So I came up with a number for the year-36 tons.  I went over the numbers again and again.  Still the same.  I guess I could say that's alot of manure.  But I think it says something else...   If someone were to ask me to move a pile of anything and that "anything" was sitting in front of me-all 36 tons of it-I'm not sure I'd move it.  But if I did a little bit every day and in the period of a year moved all 36 tons, that would be doable.  I guess when something looks insurmountable it is good to step back and look at the pieces, take it bit by bit and soon you will have accomplished your goal.  I guess if I can move that much manure in a year I can accomplish some more lofty goals...bit by bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment