Friday, March 1, 2013

Vaccination/teeth visit

Thursday we had a vaccination clinic at the barn.  I vaccinate my own horses except for Rabies (only a vet can give here in CA) and Internasal Strangles.   I gave the horses their Flu/Rhino on Feb 7th.  I will give them their 3-way/wn later.  I don't like to give too many vaccinations at one time.
Zoe walked up to the vet truck, took one look at the truck and decided this wasn't a good idea.  She tried to dance for her Rabies vx, but didn't put too much energy into it.  Tech got the vx done while I held her lead, and the Dr put his had on the butt that was trying to circle around.  It just took the Drs hand there gently to "bring her back to her senses".  The internasal strangles was the same.  But the Dr succeeded.  She went back to her pasture.  I forgot to have the vet check her teeth.  So later we went over to her pasture and he took a look at her teeth.  She had to deal with him and his gloved hands.  Her head went up and she tried to back away but then I held her halter and she stopped, then decided that he was okay and let him look into her mouth.  Silly horse.  Anyway sometime this year she needs her teeth done.  I skipped last year.  So she seems to need it done every 2 years.  I've tried playing with her nose and mouth with gloved hands and she doesn't mind me doing it at all.  I even smell like a vet office/truck sometimes because I work there.  But the actual vet-that's a different story.  Her reaction wasn't that bad and she was very easy to convince that she wasn't going to die.  I can vaccinate her no problem.  I guess it's just the different person-the vet!
Skippy and Sky were no problem for vaccinations.  Sky had his melenomas checked out.  He had a few more, but they aren't big enough to cause any problems.  They are just something to watch as the years go by.  He also needs his teeth done this year.  Like Zoe, he seems to need it done every 2 years.
Skippy had her teeth done today.  I try to do hers every year since she has a wave mouth, and cavities that I've been keeping an eye on.  So this year the cavities in the #9 teeth on the top are now at the point of needing to be filled.  The #9, #10, #11 teeth are in the back of the mouth (#11 being the farthest back).  The roots of these teeth reach into the sinus cavities.  If cavities are left unchecked in these teeth, she could have major sinus problems.  Good thing I work at the vet and can get some sort of discount on this procedure.  I was told it would be around $500 and I don't think that includes the xrays.  Time to set aside some money.  

No comments:

Post a Comment