Saturday, August 4, 2012

Obstacle work

Well, what does one do when you're only supposed to walk?  Obstacle work!


I love working obstacles and I'm fortunate to have a horse that doesn't mind obstacle work...usually.  Today I lunged her in the arena on the end of a lunge line, no free lunging.  That way I could control her speed better.  We did trot some, but it was very slow and the ground was good and it wasn't for long.  When we moved closer to my obstacle corner she tried to spook and not stay on the outside of her lunge line circle.  I say "tried" because it didn't really bother her, she just wanted an excuse to be silly.  It's okay, it just meant she got to do more circles close to the obstacle.  Eventually I let her off her lead and had her following me at liberty.  She even followed me thru the obstacle.  So by the time I got on her it was no problem to ride her thru this obstacle.  We even tried it backwards.  Riding backwards over a tarp is tricky, she tends to not pick up her feet as well and ends up dragging the tarp backwards with us.  At least it didn't spook her.

I think next time I will put down more tarps to walk on and try to make at least part of it a tunnel and see if I can get a ball to hang down from the tree instead of a plastic bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment