Sunday, May 20, 2012

Two rides/ two days

Thursday we (Zoe, Sky and Dune) went out to Beeks Bight.  It was a fun ride.  We all got to ride in different places in the "line up".  All the horses did fine.
Zoe still doesn't like to go first around the trail where the metal fence pole is in the rock.  I suppose if I went there more often I would work on it.  Maybe this is the summer to do that.  She is fine following another horse.
My old trainer told me a story about that curve in the trail.  She was out with a friend and was on the way home from Granite Bay.  The lake was very high that year.  When they came around the curve there was a sail boat in the small bay.  Because the lake was high, the boat was next to the trail, the sails were especially scary...flapping the the breeze right next to the trail.  My trainers friend fell off her horse...she landed underneath her horse as there is no where else of fall there-except down the cliff.  My trainer managed to stay on her horse.  They were all okay, got back on and finished their rides after walking past the sail boat.

Saturday we (Zoe and Sky) worked on following each other at a lope and having horses that minded their manners.  Zoe took the lead first up the sewer road and everyone was good.  We walked back down and then it was Sky's turn to take the lead.  Everyone was still good.  My GPS said we went faster with Sky leading-no surprise there... 8 mph vs 9 mph.  I know that either of those mph aren't fast if you are on an endurance horse, but for a trail horse-just fine.  I think Zoe's extended trot is faster than her lope.  I will have to do a ride and time both of those...report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment